This term we have been learning all about the Marae. We have learned that…….
- The Marae is an important focal point for the community.
- The Marea is a place where tradition and customs can be carried out.
- The Marae is a place where people can express their values with dignity.
- There are many kawa ( protocols) that prevail on the marae.
- Marae kawa (protocols) can differ between maraes and iwi.
We have focussed on some key concepts when doing this learning.
These are listed and explained in the table below.
give the meaning of these concepts in your own words.
This means custom, culture, manner and the māori way of doing things.
This means a welcoming ceremony on a marae.
This means local people that are connected to the marae.
This means visitors to a marae.
This means one of the most well-known and powerful māori concepts.
This means sense of family connection.
This means respect given to elders.
This can mean respect and the process of giving.
See this video for an explanation of the roles and responsibilities of people on a marae.
Something I would like to learn more about the marae is……... I would like to experience the feeling at a marae.